Saturday, March 15, 2008

Steve - O on Suicide Watch




Via Jackassworld

Yesterday, everyone at jackassworld was trying to figure out how to treat our brother Steve-O’s latest hospitalization. Do we make light of it like we did his arrest? No, he is in the mental ward and that ain’t too funny. Do we tell the whole truth and nothing but the truth? Well, we will always tell you the truth about a situation, but we were unsure how much truth to give you. I know Steve-O is a public figure, but this is a very personal matter and a complicated one at that. We didn’t want to glorify the situation, nor did we want to give out any info that would be disrespectful to Steve-O or his family’s privacy. But as you can see from the email I (and about a hundred other people) received from Steve-O this morning, he has no privacy. Nor does he want any. In true Steve-O fashion he gives you the whole truth and nothing but the ugly, beautiful truth.

So the gloves are off now. Steve-O took ’em off for us. Yes, he is in the mental ward, and yes, we put him there. With the blessing of his family, me and seven of his closest friends went to his apartment, told him how much we loved him, and how we were concerned for his life. We told him we wanted him to get help and when he refused we told him we were taking him to get help regardless of what he wanted. It was a helluva thing to have to do and a sad thing to do but it was the right thing to do. I lost a lot of tears when I came home from admitting Steve-O into the 5150 ward and I’m not ashamed to say I’ve lost a few tears since. But my friend is doing better now. He is accepting treatment and recognizing that it is beneficial. This makes all of us sooooo happy here and I hope it makes you happy as well.

Below is the letter he wrote to Jen Moore from the “looney bin.” It’s pure fact and it’s pure Steve-O. He signs it, “I love you all,” and I want to say, “Steve-O, buddy, we love you too.”

Sincerely,
Your pal Johnny




You Should All Know I’m In The Looney Bin

“They call it ‘code 5150,’ that means ‘psycho,’ legally, fuckin’ bat-shit, certifiably. I’m outta my mind, believe-you-me. How’d I get this way? How can this be? It’s gotten so bad there’s nothing left of me.” —Steve-O

Those words were written during a “low.” Before the day when Johnny Knoxville, Jeff Tremaine, Big Regg, Swizz, Rick Kosick, Dimitry Elyashkevich, Cordell Mansfield and Trip Taylor came to my home and physically forced me into the hospital where I was placed on a 5150 “hold.” I had thought of “bipolar” as a “good” thing. I rationally deduced that, with our time in this life being so limited, it was productive to stick to nothing but extremely high “highs” and extremely low “lows.” ANYTHING but to “crash on the rocks of mediocrity.” I figured that, since I am an extraordinarily “tough” individual, I could handle it, and my legacy would be comprised of only that which could be described as “intense.” After four days in a psychiatric ward, a.k.a. “looney bin,” a.k.a. “cuckoo’s nest,” it has dawned on me that a great deal of what I produced, while on narcotics-induced “highs,” was a bunch of manic bullshit that made little-to-no sense and, furthermore, was devastating to those who love me the most.

At this point, I am no longer “5150-status,” which was the three-day “hold” on me, resulting from suicidal behavior. I am now “5250-status,” which means that the “hold” has been extended to 14 days, for the exact same reasons. I’m not getting out of this “insane asylum” any time in the immediate future, so I’m going to learn as much from the experience as possible. So far, I’ve figured out that I did a great deal of damage to my brain by abusing drugs and, now that they’ve all worn off, I’m facing the consequences. I suppose it is an ironic “eye for an eye” situation that I am in, coping with the lowest “lows” that I’ve ever experienced as a form of punishment for the emotional distress that I have put my loved ones through with the self-destructive behavior that led me here.

I already know that I will be handing these pages over to my beautiful assistant, Jen Moore, during our next visitation, and instructing her to share them with as many people as possible on the Internet (rather than try to sell a “juicy” story to the tabloid press for profit). I hope that I haven’t disappointed too many of my fans. Actually, ya know what? Anyone that is disappointed by any of these words really doesn’t matter to me. I’ve harmed myself to no end for those people (at the expense of my loved ones), and look where it got me.

Now, what do I have to add? The research I did into the immortality of the soul, the end of life in our current bodies, and the 4th dimension was by no means a bunch of bullshit. I could stand before you all and say very similar words to the ones I say in the following clip; it’s just that I happened to be under the influence of a very dangerous amount of drugs when it was filmed:




Remember, everyone, “Be real careful, don’t misbehave… That’s all you gotta know to be saved.” —me

I Love You All,
Steve-O

P.S. I’m really in the looney bin, but I think it was TJ that read my mind. Is that right, are you TJ? Maybe I’m wrong…









Star Magazine reports



Jackass star Steve-O is being held at L.A.'s Cedars-Sinai Medical Center after threatening to take his own life, Star has learned exclusively!
According to an insider, he was taken to the emergency room on Sunday afternoon. After drug tests, he was checked into the Thalians Mental Health Center — known for doing crisis intervention — where he was put on a 72-hour hold. That has since been extended to 14 days, Star has learned.

"Steve is stabilized on meds at this point," the source told Star. "He was also treated for burns on his skin as if he had been putting cigarettes out on his own body."

Friends and family have become increasingly concerned about the star's mental state, especially following his March 3 arrest following a dispute with a neighbor. Days after, a close family member told Star that Steve-O — real name Stephen Glover — suffers from untreated bipolar disorder.

"Right now he's in his extreme mania," the family member said. "His concerned friends and family are hoping he'll seek treatment. He doesn't need jail, he needs therapy. We're just really hoping that this will be the wake-up call that gets him back to himself."

But the situation escalated over the weekend when Steve-O, 33, e-mailed suicide notes to several friends, blaming a broken romance. Eventually a woman friend and his bodyguard took him to the hospital around 2pm on Sunday. But he caused a major scene in the hospital, says one insider.

"Steve started flipping out. He told doctors he wanted to hurt himself badly. He wanted to break every bone in his body one by one."

Here's hoping the troubled prankster pulls it together.

Update:
Friday, March 14, 2008
In addition to being hospitalized, Steve-O is being charged with felony possession of cocaine by the L.A. County District Attorney. A YouTube video has also surfaced showing the Jackass star On Thursday, Steve-O posted a message on his official Web site confirming Star's report.

"At this point, I am no longer '5150-status' (which was the three-day 'hold' on me, resulting from suicidal behavior). I am now '5250-status' (which means that the 'hold' has been extended to 14 days, for the exact same reasons)," Steve-O wrote. "I'm not getting out of this 'insane asylum' any time in the immediate future, so, I'm going to learn as much from the experience as possible."

No comments: